Big W saved tens of millions of dollars every year by not paying minimum Award penalty rates under their rotten SDA deal. RAFFWU members exposed this dodgy behaviour in 2015 & 2016 at Coles and we know Big W is benefiting from the same tricks.
Big W helps SDA recruit members and SDA helps Big W keep in place these old deals which cut penalty rates and other conditions.
Minimum Award penalty & other rates should never have been cut. Workers have lost a fortune:
- 25% for casual staff (not 20%)
- 80% penalty rate (85% for casual staff) on Sunday (not 50%) and was 100% until 2017
- 25% penalty rate on Saturday (35% for casual staff)
- 25% penalty rate on weeknights between 6pm and 11pm
- overtime pay on weeknights/mornings between 11pm and 7am
- laundry allowance for laundering your uniform of $1.25 per shift
We represented members in bargaining in 2018 & 2019 but SDA cut another deal which should be so much better. Our campaigns returned the conditions above but the SDA didn't want to ensure propoer protections, and didn't want workers to get backpay.
They secretly agreed with Big W to DELETE the specific protection which stopped forced redundancies at Big W from widespread store closures. Now Big W is using these changes to close 1 in 6 stores.
Only one union is fighting for workers at Big W. If you want to be with a fighting union, it's time to join RAFFWU.
You can stop payroll deductions to SDA today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org the following text:
I HEREBY RESCIND ANY AND ALL AUTHORITY FOR SDA MEMBERSHIP FEES TO BE DEDUCTED FROM MY PAY. THIS SERVES AS ADVICE UNDER S.324 (2) (B) OF THE FAIR WORK ACT.