The 2018 proposed Kmart agreement is substantially worse than most other agreements currently being made in retail. SDA has agreed to the deal because it gets special outcomes from Kmart.
Kmart has secured from SDA:
- freezes to day base rates for staff;
- wages only 0.6c per hour above the absolute award minimum rates at certain times of the week;
- cut base rates for new staff;
- wider normal hours than permitted by the Award;
- requirement for staff to forcibly be placed into day work or night work with subsequent limits on when they work; and
- much more.
In return, Kmart has promised SDA:
- no staff will have choice in superannuation fund, locking all staff into REST which pays SDA Officials very large director fees; and
- every single teenage worker will be forced in front of SDA Recruitment Agents within their first days of work by Kmart bosses.
Kmart workers have been without a new agreement for 3 years. The old agreement was kept in place because Kmart is saving tens of millions of dollars every year by not paying minimum Award penalty rates. RAFFWU members exposed this dodgy behaviour in 2015 & 2016 at Coles and we know Kmart is benefiting from the same tricks.
Kmart helps SDA recruit members and SDA helps Kmart keep in place these old deals which cut penalty rates and other conditions.
Our campaigns meant Kmart must return minimum Award penalty & other rates:
- 25% for casual staff (not 20%)
- 80% penalty rate (85% for casual staff) on Sunday (not 50%)
- 25% penalty rate on Saturday (35% for casual staff)
- 25% penalty rate on weeknights between 6pm and 11pm
- overtime pay on weeknights/mornings between 11pm and 7am
- 60% for 17 year old staff (not 57.5%)
- 70% for 18 year old staff (not 67.5%)
Our campaigns have meant Kmart has agreed it must substantially improve many wage rates - but Kmart has refused to backpay the thousands of workers who earn less than the minimum Award. If you are casual, 17 or 18, work weeknights or weekends, you lost out.
However, only SDA agrees to smash workers rights as these Award minimum are restored. Now the proposed Kmart agreement will do just that. It's the special deal SDA and Kmart continue to pursue.
If you don't like, you have a choice. Join the fighting union for Kmart staff. Join RAFFWU.